This post was written in partnership with Frontier Airlines, Inc. All opinions are my own. Feature photo courtesy of Frontier Airlines.
Family travel can be expensive. If you look at any of my posts about how much a family trip costs, you can see that airfare takes up a big chunk of the budget. The best way to save on the cost of family travel is to reduce your airfare expenses.
Frontier Airlines is known for its low fares, but now rates are even lower for families with Frontier’s Kids Fly Free program. And you know what is great about kids flying free? You have more money to spend on the ground. That means a nicer hotel or splurges on special experiences. Or maybe it just means that this is the year you can take a family vacation (or two). (See these tips if you are flying with a baby or toddler.)
What you need to know about Kids Fly Free from Frontier
Kids Fly Free for Discount Den Members
Kids Fly Free is a new promotion from Frontier Airlines for members of its Discount Den fare membership club. Discount Den membership is $59.99 per year, and provides you with access to the lowest fares on Frontier Airlines.
These fares are available for up to six people on the same reservation. On valid Kids Fly Free flights, one child under 15 can fly for free for every adult Discount Den fare purchased.
Plus, Discount Den members are the first to hear about new promotions, offers, and destinations. Discount Den members still earn FRONTIER miles, but keep in mind that children flying through the Kids Fly Free program do not earn miles.
How to Book a Kids Fly Free Flight
Once you have joined Discount Den, search for flights that are easily marked with the Kids Fly Free logo beneath the Discount Den price. Be sure to include the children traveling with you in your search to see the Kids Fly Free offer.
Keep in mind that there are some restrictions and check the website for blackout dates and other restrictions. For example, Kids Fly Free is only valid on your initial booking (not if you change your flight) and only when booking on flyfrontier.com.
Kids Fly Free on select domestic flights only and those discounts cannot be combined with other offers or promo codes. The Kids Fly Free offer also only applies to airfare, and not seat selection, baggage fees, or other travel add-ons.
Things to know about Flying Frontier
Frontier Airlines flies to more than 100 destinations in the United States, Canada, Dominican Republic, and Mexico on more than 350 daily flights. The airline focuses on “Low Fares Done Right” to allow families to travel more often and make travel affordable for everyone.
To do this, they have unbundled their fares, so you pay for what you need and what is important for you. What that means for families is that you need to add up your total costs to be able to compare apples-to-apples when reviewing rates between airlines.
You will always find the best rates on airfare and add-ons when you purchase online at the time of booking. For example, a seat assignment when you book online is $6, but if you wait until you get to the airport, it will cost you $11 per seat.
So be sure to look at the cost of the airfare plus seat assignments (if you want to be sure to sit together as a family), carry-on bags, and checked bags. It is actually cheaper to check a bag than pay for a carry-on bag (at least when you purchase on Flyfrontier.com at the time of booking).
You can also look at purchasing bundles, which may save you money versus purchasing add-ons individually.
We flew Frontier last year from Providence to Denver and here are a few other tips I picked up:
- Families with young children can board after Zone 1/Priority boarding
- The tail of Frontier planes each have a different animal character. You can ask your flight attendant for a collectable trading card!
- All beverages and snacks are NOT included so be sure to pack your own (or there are some available for purchase.)
- Frontier does not offer Wi-Fi (free or for purchase), movies, or other in-flight entertainment so it is a good time to download shows and apps before you go, or bring some activities with you (Hannah and I played a few rounds of Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit on our flight.)
- Tray tables are small so don’t bring large coloring books or other activities that require a large hard surface.
- The seats have cushion on a molded plastic back, so they are a little different than standard seats. It was fine for a four hour flight but longer than that and I may have wanted to bring some extra padding.
- They are also “pre-reclined” so no one can slam back into you but it gives you slightly less flexibility. If you want more pitch and recline, purchase the stretch seating.
- Frontier does not fly every day from each location. So when booking, be sure to look out for overnight connections.
You may wonder how on earth you can fly from Providence to Florida for $29 each way but the low fare, unbundled pricing model, combined with fuel efficiency is how Frontier makes it happen.
Frontier has won the FAA 2017 Diamond Award for maintenance excellence and was recently named the industry’s most fuel-efficient airline by The International Council on Clean Transportation.